KVA 1892

Kurlandische Verkehr und Adresbuch, 1892/1893

The following is a rough translation of a document provided by Aleksandrs Feigmanis. The introduction is translated by K. Gnagey, the directory by Betsy Thal Gephart. The original pages are provided in a pdf below the translation. I have used question marks for unknown and unclear words. If you can help clarify the translation, please contact me.

Talsen

Introduction
The township1 of Talsen lies in one of the most beautiful areas of Kurland, in the so called kurish Switzerland, Surrounded by many wooded mountains and little lakes it is a center for summer visitors and tourists, which will find good reception and service in the inns “Hotel Grunsky” and “St. Petersburg”. Talsen is situated 49 Werst2 from the railway station in Tuckum on the way to Dondanzen, from where it is 35 Werst. From Goldingen it is 55 W, from Windau 77 W, from the hamlet Sassmacken 15W, from Zabeln 24 W, and from Kandau 28 W away. The daily regular traffic between Tuckum and Talsen is handled by the local drivers Salomon and Itzig Vogt. When Talsen was founded cannot be ascertained, probably it was founded not much after the Germans occupied the land. The so called Lett castle, a fortification of the natives, was here, 3 Werst southeast of Talsen, and here soon after the solid castle of the Germans was created, southward, on the current monastery hill, a Brigitt nunnery is said to have been, and between castle and nunnery, separated from the nunnery by a valley, a chapel. Dependent on castle, nunnery, and chapel, soon a chaffworks (?), where business people and craftsmen settled, and which supposedly was named for the valley, in which it lies , and the two lakes, between which the valley runs, Talsen (Thalseen (=valley lakes)). In times of war Talsen did probably not play any particular role, it was rather a place where church and business were the driving forces. During catholic times the church had two dedications3 with extensive lands, two priests worked there. One of the original parishes in the land is called the “Talsendsche”. With Count Gotthard Kettler (1562-87) Talsen became reformed two lutheran pastors replaced the two catholic priests, a stone church was built, which then was enlarged repeatedly, until it received the cross shape in 1888. Until 1710 Talsen seemed to have grown slowly and steadily, but then the inhabitants were almost all killed through the plague, and it only started to expand and gain importance since 1800 and particularly since 1870. Almost all of the north western Neu Talsen was built in the last 25 years. Talsen lies mainly in the area and soil of the fideikommis estates4 Stenden, Postenden, and Nurmhusen, the owners of the houses pay an annual rent for the use of the lots. Only few houses are built on inheritable or royal land. The inheritable lots were sold by surrounding estates, which are not belonging to the major estates, and the royal rent lots either earlier by the Counts of Kurland given for the use of, or lately given by the adjoining royal estate of Amt Talsen to the township as usable land. Talsen has ?07 mainly massive houses, and according to the census of 29th December 1881 3410 inhabitants, as well as 15 streets. The number of Christian inhabitants exceeds the number of Hebrews. The usual regional products are traded. The township is administered by a number of citizens, elected by the house owners.

1. administrative unit, not exactly as the townships in the U.S.
2. Werst: old Russian unit = 1.067 km, abbr. W
3. some kind of estate
4. family estates that may not be sold or bartered or split

Directory

Authorities and Administrations with Statement of Departments to which they belong

A. Department of the Minister of the Interior

1. State Authority and Administration

  • District Police Department. District Chief: Ritt. Adalbert Baron Stromberg, ält Geh.: Meczislaw Baranowski, special f. Talsen ??: Tit.-Rath Johann Grundt. Tischvorst.: Skujeneck[?], Salit. ?giftrator: Johann Jerlowitz. Kanzliften: M. Kollberg, H. ?cenberg. Gorodowois: senior A. Blumenthal, junior F. Jursche—, Jankel Seske, Griwain. Junior District Chiefs: Tit.-Rath ?pteina 1. Sassmacken Distrct, Coll.-Secr. Kauling 2. Zabeln District – a prison does not exist in Talsen, police arrest under the auspices of the District Police “Verw.”
  • Farmers Commissar: Coll.-Rath and Ritt. Wassili Golubow.
  • District Military Conscription Commission. President: District marshall George Furst Lieven-Kabillen. Members: District chief Baron Stromberg, District Military Chief “Obristlieut.” Troitzky, Farmers Commissar ?lubow. Rural community delegate: The “Postendesche” Community- ? Christoph Rossmann. Office: Coll.-Secr. Christoph ??auding.
  • Horse Reception Commission in Case of War. Present: Eld. District Chief Geh. Meczislaw Baranowski. Member: ?rg Baron Henking. 2) Present: Farmers Commissar Golubow. Member: Arthur Baron Drachenfels.
  • Post and Telegraph “Comptoir”. Chief: Tit.-Rath and ? Adolph Dsiedsiul, dess. Geh.: Coll.-Reg. Sissor. Leitungs-?eher: Andreas Tiesonkopf. “Kronssparkasse bei der Post.” ??rer: Dsiedsiul.
  • Medicine: District doctor: Dr. J. Sadikoff. Free Practice Doctors: DDr. G. Blahse, Carl Stavenhagen, A. Krüger, P. ?olin, R. Borck. District “Discipel”: Jeannot Staberdorf, Johann ?owitz. Midwives: Fr. Eva Klammer, District Midwife., Julie ?er, Liese Reeksting, Caroline Brisinsky. Pharmacist: Otto ?cke, founded in the last century. “Droguenhandlung” [Drugstore?]: Abraham ?schewitz, since 1884. Private Hospital in the house of Dr. G. Blahse.
  • Branch Prison Committee. President: District Marshall Georg Fürst Lieven-Kabillen. Director ex officio: District Police Chief Baron Stromberg, District Physician Dr. Sadikoff, Crown Parish Preacher: Wiebeck. Chief of the Prison: Adolph Renmann.
  • District Arrangement Committee. President: District Chief Baron Stromberg. Member: District Military Chief Troitzky. Secretary: J. Grundt.

2. Town Administration

  • The town administration is composed of the authorities of the home-owners: District Physician J. Sadikoff, Gouv.-Secr. W. Kronberg, H. Hirschberg, H. Jordan, M. Kallmeyer, J. Petersohn. Organizations under this administration:
  • Real Estate Taxation Commission: D. Goercke, J. P. Popert, Dr. J. Sadikoff, H. Jordan, M. Berger.
  • Street Paving Committee. President: District Chief Baron Stromberg. Members: J. P. Popert, D. Goercke, H. Jordan, Surveyor Ernst Wizinsky.

B. Department of the Minister of Justice

  • Tuckum-Talsen Justice of the Peace: Justice of the Peace of the 3rd District: J. Baron Heyking. (Seat in Talsen.)
  • Investigating Judge of the 1st District: Const. Lomakin.
  • Jurisdiction “Pristawe”: Karl Wildau at Justice of the Peace, Alexei Popow at Libau District Jurisdiction.
  • Rural Justice: Victor Bogel.
  • Private Lawyer: Arthur Baron Drachenfels Cand. Jur., Jannschkewitsch.
  • Notary: Gustav Baron v. d. Osten-Sacken.

C. Department of the Minister of Finance

  • “Acciseverwaltung” of the 3rd District: Aelt. District Inspector: Paul v. Gersdorff, Theodor Baron Engelhardt, Sokolow. Controller of the Match Factory of Popert: Goldmann, at the Distillery of Hirschberg: Gruschke.
  • District Pension. Pension master: Coll.-Rath u. Ritt. Theodor Dufeaux. Bookkeeper: Coll.-Ass. U. Ritt. Carl Lantrwitz, dess. Assitants: Tit-Rath Wilhelm Rutkowsky. Imperial Savings-Bank of the Pensions. Cashier: Dufeaux. Controller Lantrewitz.

D. Department of the Minister of the People’s Enlightenment [Education]

  • City School since 1887 with 150 students. Inspector: Coll.-Ass. Sokolow. Instructors: Juschko, Rowitzky, Klimonsky. Greek-Orthodox Priest: Korolew.
  • Private Boy’s School since 1874 with 50 students preparing for Gymnasium. Principal: Friedrich Zirkel. Instructors: Siwetz, Schönbrunn, Pastor vacat.
  • Girl’s school. Principal: Frl. Helene Krause. Instructors: Frl. Ella Villaret, Frl. Anna Dimitrijew.
  • Greek-Orthodox Church School. Instructor: Korolew, Psalm-Singers: Tolwitzky, Reeksting. (Founded 1867.)
  • German “Armenschule” [Poor-school?]. Principal: Frl. Theophile Mellin.
  • Lettish “Armenschule”
  • Hebrew Elementary School since 1889 with 30 students.
  • Elementary school inspector: Fritzson, seat in Libau.

E. Department for Religious Concerns

  • Greek-Orthodox Church since 1890. Priest: Nikolai Korolew. Psalm-singers: Jakob Tolwitzky, Georg Reeksling. Church “Aeltester”: City School Inspector Pawel Sokolow. The Parish was founded in 1884.
  • Evangelical Lutheran Church. Church Principal: Th. Baron Hahn-Postenden, Ernst Baron v. d. Brüggen, Druggist Otto Goercke. Pstors: Theodor Wiebeck, Adj. vacat. Organist: Carl Blumberg.
  • Baptist Church (“Bethaus”). “Aeltester”: Ernst Grünwald. Preacher: Andreas Felbler.
  • Roman Catholic Church (“Bethaus”). Temporarily served by Priest Lukscho from Lievenhof.
  • Hebrew Congregation. Principal. “Aelteste”: Hittel, Hirschberg, Behr Herzberg, Markus Berger. Rabbi: Markus Lichtenstein. Cantor: Abel Schnee. “Schächter”: Wulf Seba. 1 Synagogue, 1 “Bethaus”
  • “Friedhöfe”: 1 greek orthodox, 1 universal evangelical Lutheran, 1 evangelical Lutheran belonging to the Hartmann family, 1 hebrew “Friedhof”.

F. Department of the War Minister

  • District Military Administration. District Military Chief: “Obristlieut.” U. Ritt. Troitzky. Secretary: Tit-Rath Posdnejew.

II. Establishments and Offices to “gemciunützigen” Purposes

  • Talsen Savings and Loan Bank since 1874 has 61 members. Directors: Merchant Johann Lilienberg, Merchant Fritz Blumenthal, House-owner Hugo Jordan. Substitute: Coll.-Ass. Carl Lentrewitz, Merchant Eduard Retzmann. Cashier: Coll.-Rath Th. Dufeaux.
  • Savings and Loan Bank of Talsen Agricultural Society with 29 members. Directors: Theodor Wolfsbach, District Physician Dr. Sadikoff, Eduward Boese. Cashier and Bookkeeper: W. Kronberg.
  • First Talsen Death and Burial Fund (founded 1878), with no more than 81 members. For every death of a member, each member pays 5 rubles. The heirs of the deceased get 200 to 600 rubles from the members of the fund. Directors: Th. Dufeaux, Pastor Th. Wiebeck, House-owner Hugo Jordan.
  • Second Talsen Burial Fund established 1879 with no more than 91 members with “demf.” Principles, each death amounts to 1 Ruble. The heirs of the deceased get only 45-115 rubles from the fund. Directors: Carl Lantrewitz, Chr. Grauding, Wilhelm Kronberg.
  • Third Talsen Burial Fund established 1887 with over 191 members. Contribution 1 ruble, receive 65-135 rubles. Directors: Grauding, Jerlowitz, Lilienberg.
  • Kurland Credit Union. District Curator: G. Baron Heyking.
  • Kurland. City Mortgage Union. Authorized agent: Gouv.-Secr. Kronberg.
  • Private hospital of Dr. G. Blahse in his house.

III. Associations and Societies

  • Volunteer Fire Department. Established 1868, has 56 active and 9 pass. Members, and one fire station with 3 fire engines. Board President: vacat. Members: Pastro Wiebeck, Paul v. Gersdorff, Chr. Vorrath, Carl Hübner. Trumpeter: Wilhelm Kronberg. Deputy Trumpeters: Chr. Grauding, Jeannot Petersohn.
  • Talsen Agricultural Society, founded 1878, has 70 members. President: Pastor F. Bernewitz. Vice-President: Eduard Boese, Wolfsbach. Cashier: Wilhelm Kornberg. Secretary: Carl Ellert.
  • Poor Relief Society. (Founded 1890.) Director: vacat. Manager: Baronin Clara Drachenfels. Cashier: Dr. G. Blahse.
  • The “Club” has 38 members. Director: Dr. G. Blahse.
  • The Social Society (Latvian “fadraudsibas beedriba”), established 1887, has 80 members. Director: Chr. Meyer. Librarian: Schönbrunn. Cashier: Fr. Zirkle. Secretary: Friedrichson.
  • Hebrew Burial Society, est. 1860. Principal. Hittel Hirschberg. Members: Herzberg, Berger.

IV. Trade, Business and Industry

1. “Assecuranzen” [Insurance?]

  • Agent of Fire-“Assecuranz”-Society “Jakor”: W. Kronberg. Agent of Fire-“Assecuranz”-Society “Commerz”: Lantrewitz. Agent of Fire Insurance Society “Rossija”, Salit. Agent of Baltic Fire Insurance Society, Architect Seyler. Agent of 1st Russian Life Insurance Society, founded in 1835: Coll.-Ass. C. Alntrewitz. Agent of Fire Insurance Society “Moskwa”: Lucas. Representative of “Gegenf.” Fire Insurance Society of Kurland Union: George Baron Heyking. Agent of Hail Insurance “gegenf.”, in Moscow: W. Kronberg.

2. Commerce Branches

  • Grocery-, Material-, Steel-, Iron-Ware Stores, which also hold wine and spirits: Carl Kleeberg, Johann Lilienberg, Behr Herzberg, J. Peprt, David Bergers Erben, Hillel Hirschberg, Samuel Jankel Kallmeyer, Carl Hedeberg.
  • Grain Merchants: M. Kallmeyer, Elias Leibowitz, Kurland Co-op of Farmers in Libau, Representative in Talsen: W. Kronberg.
  • Leather dealers: Wulf Lilienthal, Löwenberg, Oppenheim, Hoffmann.
  • Manufactured Goods Dealers: Haim Berger and sons, Itzig Thal, Sarje Salkinder, Moritz Israel Kallmeyer, Schaie Moses Thal.
  • Furniture Dealer: Heisel Hahn.
  • Writing Material and Book Dealers: Carl Blumberg, Jesaias Hischmann, Hirsch Tow.

3. Trades-people

  • Baker: Wilhelm Conradi.
  • Tinsmith: E. Strauss.
  • Book binder: Arth. Sargewitz, Issar Skolna.
  • Butcher: Seidel, Itzig Blumenthal, Herz Hellmann, Herzberg
  • Barber: Heinrich Posche.
  • Goldsmith: Feyerabend, Freyberg.
  • Plumber and Painter: Jakob Thalberg, Swoboda.
  • Coppersmith: Bredau, Darin Ladschewitz.
  • Cap-maker: Michael Löwenberg, Hosias Friedberg, Abraham Löwenberg.
  • Photographer: Kuberg.
  • Rope maker: Nelius.
  • Locksmith: Wilhelm Ottersberg, Heinrich Siering.
  • Blacksmith: Karkling, Löwensohn.
  • Tailor: Chaim Berger, Thal, Grünblatt, Steffanowsky.
  • Shoemaker: Israel Blumberg.
  • Cabinet-maker: Christoph Vorrath, Erhard, Siering.
  • Clockmaker: Robert Thalberg.

4. Industrial Enterprises

  • Beer brewery of Hillel Hirschberg.
  • Book Printer of Geyerabend.
  • Distillery and Liqueur Factory of Hillel Hirschberg, est. 1845.
  • Dye-house of Salomon Jacobsohn.
  • Market Garden of August Rohde.
  • Pop, Seltzer and Soda water factory of O. Knoblauch.
  • Windmill of Jacob Jerschmanow.
  • Match factory of J. Popert and M. Berger.

V. Road Establishments (“Verkehrseinrichtungen”)

  • “Hotel St. Petersburg”, Owner Kadeg. “Hotel Grunsky”.
  • General Slaughterhouse and Bath, belonging to the Jewish community.
  • Transport to Tuckum: Twice daily with driver Vogt.
  • Horse Post Station: The dispatch of the imperial post has been taken over by Sarje Salkinder.
  • Fair from April 21 to September 7. Weekly market on Tuesday and Friday.
%d bloggers like this: